Smoke and Mirrors at the DNC: How Repetition and Pandering Was Used to Cover Up for Disastrous Policy
Barack Obama’s speech tonight proved what many had suspected: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, DACA, was a contrived and cynical move meant to cover up for the broken promise of Comprehensive Immigration Reform, CIR, and for Obama’s more than 1.2 million deportations.
President Obama insisted for years an Executive Order that would provide relief to the millions of unauthorized workers and their families was out of his hands.
But somehow he was able to find a way to take out his presidential pen just in time for the election. Of course.
The ploy seems to have worked on many observing the Democratic National Convention. By repeatedly using the term “DREAMers,” Democrats got many to confuse DACA with the DREAM Act, legislation Obama failed to pass and one which fell very short of his promise to enact CIR his first year in office.
Aside from the several mentions of “DREAMers,” was this line from President Obama during his speech:
"You’re the reason a young immigrant who grew up here…will no longer be deported from the only country she’s ever called home."
This type of pandering may appeal to some, but let’s not forget he’s overseen the highest number of deportations of any president in US history, most targeting non-criminal offenders; he’s allowed ICE Jails run by the private prison industry to flourish under his administration; and, his policies have criminalized a hard working community the United States depends on, our community.
For those who need a refresher course on how Obama’s policies have been a nightmare for Mexican communities throughout the United States, watch Frontline’s "Lost in Detention."
121 Notes/ Hide
- th3drivethru likes this
- doradouchebag likes this
- nextinoffice likes this
- crazyisforlater reblogged this from thinkmexican
- bennettgrace reblogged this from thinkmexican
- littlejunibee likes this
- bigbxtch likes this
- magical-girls likes this
- pantamalion likes this
- thewhiskeypropagandist reblogged this from jchans
- emilyafter likes this
- freedompress reblogged this from thinkmexican
- rather-facile likes this
- kickassical likes this
- alexivore likes this
- luckythinks91 likes this
- stickthinbarbie likes this
- ex-ist likes this
- epicureanerendira reblogged this from thinkmexican and added:
- hijabeng reblogged this from hotsinglesareinyourhouse and added:
- hijabeng likes this
- pandahspunk reblogged this from thinkmexican
- pandahspunk likes this
- limhimontoya likes this
- foreverbased likes this
- foreverbased reblogged this from thinkmexican
- caitybay likes this
- guyss-i-want-a-castle reblogged this from thinkmexican
- badassmexicans likes this
- marinadelmar reblogged this from thinkmexican
- xicanolove reblogged this from thinkmexican
- xicanolove likes this
- soloerescris11 likes this
- justwait-dontgo likes this
- theonewhoknocks likes this
- tortasahogadas reblogged this from thinkmexican
- laliberty likes this
- jaycook1776 likes this
- tiffanytwistedxx likes this
- elrealisticdreamer reblogged this from thinkmexican and added:
- michael831 likes this
- strengththroughstruggle said: Vote for Romney. That will make everything better for Latinos.
- lasdosjuanas likes this
- flaca-tallanga reblogged this from thinkmexican
- flaca-tallanga likes this
- anotheriteration likes this
- selenamysaviour reblogged this from selgomezspain
- chicanoporaquimexicanoporalla reblogged this from thinkmexican