RIP Sal Castro, Educator & Chicano Civil Rights Leader
Educator and civil rights leader Salvador B. Castro passed away at his home in Los Angeles, California, on April 15 due to complications with thyroid cancer. He was 79 years old.
Castro, who was born in the Boyle Heights section of Los Angeles in 1933, lived a storied life. His work shaped California history and touched the lives of thousands.
Soon after he was born, Castro’s father was forcefully returned to Mexico as part of the United States’ Mexican Repatriation Program. He would attend his first years of school in Mazatlán, Sinaloa.
Upon returning in the second grade, Castro faced racial discrimination at the hands of teachers who ridiculed him for not speaking English.
“I started thinking, these teachers … should be able to understand me,” he said in a 1988 interview with the LA Times. “I didn’t think I was dumb — I thought they were dumb.”
As a child, Mr. Castro witnessed the Zoot Suit Riots of 1943, an event he often mentioned in speeches.
Castro single-handedly transformed the lives of thousands, founding the Chicano Youth Leadership Conference in 1963 and spearheading the East LA Blowouts of 1968.
Sal Castro’s legacy as an educator and activist will live on for generations. And deservedly so. ¡Viva Sal Castro!
A funeral mass has been scheduled for 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, April 25, at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels. For more information, visit the CLYLP.
Image via the Sal Castro Facebook page.
147 Notes/ Hide
- thefirstofthemojicas reblogged this from thinkmexican
- marsblike reblogged this from thinkmexican
- omggerry96 likes this
- daniisland likes this
- lisztomonica reblogged this from thinkmexican
- skataluna likes this
- geearejay likes this
- light-ways reblogged this from scooterpiebanana
- lizjamesbitch likes this
- scooterpiebanana reblogged this from fresafresca
- spooky-louie likes this
- shygirl714 reblogged this from thinkmexican
- nolovethesehoes likes this
- thatchicana reblogged this from fuckyeahchicanopower
- jaysonne likes this
- litelli180 reblogged this from fuckyeahchicanopower
- litelli180 likes this
- bbydreo reblogged this from thinkmexican
- nopuedoverte reblogged this from thinkmexican
- kimmykim1221 reblogged this from thinkmexican
- shutupbaby-iknowit likes this
- iyaricorazon reblogged this from pineappleprincex
- mylibraryadventures likes this
- sempreavanti-senzapaura likes this
- srgbarca likes this
- hotep4all likes this
- universalvibes408 reblogged this from fuckyeahchicanopower
- avowofsecrecy likes this
- mexicatiahui likes this
- lamalintzin likes this
- jenn2d2 likes this
- livin-d-life likes this
- entreserynoseryosoy likes this
- silas216 reblogged this from political-linguaphile
- silas216 likes this
- tirado likes this
- lenxo reblogged this from fuckyeahchicanopower
- lenxo likes this
- bloggingwithoutorgans reblogged this from political-linguaphile
- chicken-anus likes this
- potzillaroar likes this
- iamdavidchavez likes this
- artbyjuanlcruz likes this
- nicosan1 reblogged this from thinkmexican and added:
- thecrystalizer likes this
- pinchedeliaaa reblogged this from fuckyeahchicanopower
- c1931 reblogged this from thinkmexican
- c1931 likes this
- wut4 likes this
- sassacrass reblogged this from fuckyeahchicanopower